Wednesday 9 October 2013

Poetry Anthology

Paper instructions:
I chose some poems but if you find or know of any better ones you may choose what you think is best. I’d like to stay with aviation but again if you have a better topic you may change it. I know I am to make a title page and a page for each poem, I can do that part myself.
If there are any questions at all just let me know and I will help you in any way!!
Thank you so much :

POETRY ACTIVITY
For the poetry activity, you will create a poetry anthology. Base the anthology on a theme and limit the number of poems you include to a very few. In order to create the anthology, follow these guidelines:
TASKS
Task 1: Write an introduction to your anthology. The introduction should be a page and a half long.
The introduction explains to your readers why and how you selected the poems for the anthology. Answer the following questions and use the answers to write the introduction:
1. What is the theme of your anthology?Aviation
2. Why did you choose this particular theme?I chose this theme because I love flying and being in the blue skies
3. What is the significance of this theme?
4. What are the characteristics of a good poem? (This is your definition of poetry)
5. In general, how do the poems that you selected embody your definition if poetry?
6. Why is reading and thinking about poetry worthwhile in the twenty-first century?
Task 2: Select 6 poems
1. The poems may be taken from the class textbook, a poetry collection by a major author, or an anthology of poetry.
2. Put the poems in order based on some organizational strategy. What organization will you use?
3. Provide citations for quotations and borrowed materials.
Task 3: Design
1. Create a title page for the anthology, a page and a half for the introduction, and one page for each poem.
2. You may create a basic or elaborate design. Either one is fine.
Task 4: Presentation
1. Present your poetry project to the class. The presentation should be between 3 to 5 minutes. In your presentation, cover the items on the Poetry Project Grading Rubric.
GRADING
Poetry Project Grading Rubric
Item 5 4-3 2-1 0
Introduction
Explains how and why poems were selected Either does not explain how poems were selected or does not explain why poems were selected
Attempts to explain how poems were selected or does not explain why poems were selected
Does not explain how or why poems were selected
Characteristics of a Good Poem Characteristics clearly defined Somewhat clearly defined characteristics Attempt at defining characteristics No characteristics
Theme Clear theme with significance explained Somewhat clear theme with significance explained Attempt at theme and explanation of significance No theme or significance explained
Selection of Poems Poems taken from a major author’s collection, class text, or anthology Most poems taken from a major author’s collection, class text, or anthology One or two poems taken from a major author’s collection, class text, or anthology Poems taken from unapproved sources
Organization Organization based on a clear, effective, logical strategy Organization somewhat based on a clear, effective, logical strategy Attempt at organization based on a clear, effective, logical strategy No clear, effective, logical strategy
Presentation Requirements met Requirements somewhat met Attempt at meeting requirements Requirements met
Proofreading No errors One or two minor errors Several minor errors or one to two major errors Significant minor errors or more than two major errors
Grammar and spelling No errors One or two minor errors Several minor errors or one to two major errors Significant minor errors or more than two major errors
TOTAL

All these poems I found on http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4843-Aviation-Poems
I’ve always loved aviation and actually use to fly a lot but after 9/11 happened job security wasn’t great so I dropped out of college and never went back to flying.
“High Flight” by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air….
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4843-Aviation-Poems
“Flyer’s Prayer” By Patrick J. Phillips
When this life I’m in is done,
And at the gates I stand,
My hope is that I answer all
His questions on command.
I doubt He’ll ask me of my fame,
Or all the things I knew,
Instead, He’ll ask of rainbows sent
On rainy days I flew.
The hours logged, the status reached,
The ratings will not matter.
He’ll ask me if I saw the rays
And how He made them scatter.
Or what about the droplets clear,
I spread across your screen?
And did you see the twinkling eyes.
If student pilots keen?
The way your heart jumped in your chest,
That special solo day-
Did you take time to thank the one
Who fell along the way?
Remember how the runway lights
Looked one night long ago
When you were lost and found your way,
And how-you still don’t know?
How fast, how far, how much, how high?
He’ll ask me not these things
But did I take the time to watch
The moonbeams wash my wings?
And did you see the patchwork fields
And mountains I did mould;
The mirrored lakes and velvet hills,
Of these did I behold?
The wind he flung along my wings,
On final almost stalled.
And did I know I it was His name,
That I so fearfully called?
And when the goals are reached at last,
When all the flying’s done,
I’ll answer Him with no regret-
Indeed, I had some fun.
So when these things are asked of me,
And I can reach no higher,
My prayer this day – His hand extends
To welcome home a Flyer.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4843-Aviation-Poems
“To All That Fly” By John D. Duvall
May God grant you blue skies aloft,
With winds of calm by land,
As you play on the outskirts of heaven,
On the fragile wings of man.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4843-Aviation-Poems

An Irish Airman Foresees His Death by William Butler Yeats
I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.
Excerpted from Aces Falling by Peter Hart
O! Spirits, who forever fly,
Banish the fears that terrify,
Stifle the horror of being afraid,
Still the conscience that would upbraid,
Give me no chance to hesitate,
Let me go out and meet my fate,
As all men do, so I may be,
One of your knightly company.
Captain Rupert Atkinson
Gary ClaudStokor – Impressions of a Pilot
Flight is freedom in its purest form,
To dance with the clouds which follow a storm;
To roll and glide, to wheel and spin,
To feel the joy that swells within;
To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;
Then back to earth at the end of a day,
Released from the tensions which melted away.
Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;
Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I’d do it again;
For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment